Sheryl Starr has over 30 years of experience in all aspects of commercial real estate transactions, including acquisitions, sales, financing, leasing, and joint venture activities. She has represented a wide variety of clients, including banks and other financial institutions, equity investors, and owners and developers of retail centers, office buildings, hotels, condominium developments, multi-family residential property and mixed-use developments. Sheryl also has experience in sophisticated financing transactions including construction and mezzanine financing, interest rate swaps, 1031 exchanges, tax exempt bond financing, loan workouts and restructuring, debt assumption, loan defeasance, and loan portfolio acquisitions.
With a strong understanding of what is important to each party in such transactions, Sheryl is well known as a savvy and highly skilled negotiator.
Representative Matters & Significant Transactions
- Representation of leading commercial real estate developer in Southeastern Massachusetts in acquisitions, sales, construction, and financing transactions involving office, retail and hotel properties, including complex multi-parcel assemblage and hotel development.
- Representation of one of the largest multi-family real estate owners in the Greater Boston area, including $211 million financing of property in Boston and Brookline, as well as many other acquisitions, construction loans, and mortgage and equity financing transactions.
- Representation of regional bank in $46 million complex construction loan transaction, involving development of a mixed use condominium project in downtown Boston and including substantial private preferred equity investor.
- Representation of restaurant owners in acquisitions and sales of restaurant businesses.
- Representation of leading commercial real estate owner and developer in the suburban Boston area, in significant acquisitions, financing and leasing transactions.
- Representation of public university in significant real estate transactions, including acquisition of real property and joint venture of sports facility.
- Representation of numerous automobile dealerships in sales, acquisitions, and financings.
- Representation of major multifamily real estate developer in $80 million tax exempt bond financing of a large project permitted under M.G.L. ch. 40B.
- Representation of real estate owner in long term purchase option transaction for wind energy use.
Memberships & Activities
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Former member of NAIOP Commercial Real Estate Development Association
Professional & Civic Activities
- USA 500 Clubs
- Founding Member of NE500/501 Giving Circle
- Former member of Massachusetts Chapter of U.S. Green Building Council- Advocacy Committee
Honors & Recognition
- Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America® 2020 – 2021
- Selected for inclusion in Massachusetts Super Lawyers 2018-2020
- 2019 Women of F.I.R.E., American Business Media and Banking New England Magazine
- 2016 Top Women of Law, Mass Lawyers Weekly
- Founding Member of the NE500/501 Giving Circle
- AV Martindale Hubbell Peer Review Rating