Meredith specializes in complex business and real estate litigation. Meredith has a specialty in resolution of title defects and quiet title litigation for both registered and recorded land in Massachusetts, representing numerous mortgagees as well as individuals, both directly and as insureds under policies of title insurance. Meredith also has significant experience in a wide variety of real estate and business disputes, including contract claims, permitting and zoning, and commercial and residential summary process eviction actions.
Meredith has extensive experience defending financial institutions and loan servicers against various lender liability claims, including claims of wrongful foreclosure, failure to modify loans, violations of federal statutes such as TILA, RESPA, FDCPA, and FCRA, and violation of state consumer laws, including Chapter 93A. She litigates such claims in all state and federal court forums, including bankruptcy adversary proceedings. Her experience includes reverse mortgage litigation.
Meredith’s practice includes advising clients on any developments in the law, statutes, and regulations affecting residential mortgages, including the impact on foreclosure, lender liability claims, and quiet title litigation.
Representative Matters & Significant Transactions
- Successfully defended financial institutions in a wide variety of lender liability claims and foreclosure related challenges in Land Court, Superior Court, Housing Court, Appeals Court, United States District Court, District of Massachusetts, and the United States Bankruptcy Court, District of Massachusetts
- Successfully achieved dismissal of foreclosure challenge and quieted title to property under recently enacted MA title clearing statute in case of first impression featured in Mass. Lawyer’s Weekly
- Resolved reverse mortgage claims concerning failure of homeowner to pay property taxes
- Resolved multiple bankruptcy adversary proceedings seeking to void mortgages and reverse mortgages based on defects in acknowledgments
- Resolved title defects discovered post-foreclosure, allowing successful REO sales of property in conjunction with resolution of wrongful foreclosure claims
- Represented both institutional lenders and bona fide purchasers in achieving dismissal of foreclosure challenge in Land Court filed after creation of multi-unit condominiums
- Successfully defended title insurance company and obtained dismissal of coverage-related claims arising out of alleged wrongful foreclosure
- Successfully defended commercial landlord in summary process eviction proceeding, obtaining and successfully collecting $100,000 in unpaid rent
- Represented property owner in successful resolution of contentious litigation over sole access to Martha’s Vineyard property
- Tried case against national supermarket chain that resulted in jury verdict in favor of client, and tried related zoning appeal filed by national supermarket chain in Land Court that resulted in favorable judgment
Honors & Recognition
- Selected as a New England Super Lawyer, 2016-2019
- Selected for inclusion in the 2018 and 2019 Top
Women Attorneys in Massachusetts Super Lawyers
- Selected for inclusion in 2011-15 Rising Stars
Edition of Massachusetts Super Lawyers